Thursday, June 26, 2008

Re-living the College days

*** This post is dedicated to all my old friends!

Recently my sister got admission in Bangalore for +2 and shifted base here. She is staying with us now.

In Karnataka +2 is called Pre University, which one is supposed to study under the University syllabus unlike major part of India where it’s under school curriculum. Therefore practically she entered college 2 years earlier than we did :-).
Initially I was a bit skeptical as to how she would cope with the co-ed college environment. She has been a Girl’s school student all her life and is known to be more ‘girly’ in nature unlike me. [Probably I was trying to be a protective elder sister!]. However I was pleasantly surprised seeing her being comfortable in the new environment, in fact enjoying it.

It is very interesting to see her enthusiasm for anything related to college; be it studies, friends, activities or daily incidents. Once she comes back home after the classes, first thing she would do is to give a detailed report of what happened in the college, which girl did what, which boy said what. Who proposed to whom, who is very friendly with boys, who is shy blah blah. To be very frank I enjoy these talks and get a feel, I am back to college again! These talks have not changed since I have passed college. I tend to compare them with my college days, and find that they haven’t changed much. Back then I thought they were so important in life, now I know these are all silly stuffs but still enjoy them and fall prey for a gossip even without my knowledge!

Everyday she would come up with a new story, like; yesterday it seems they were playing ‘Truth & Dare’. I got so involved in the discussion that I started asking her enthusiastically who opted for truth, who for dare, who said what, who did what etc. Later when I thought of this, I was laughing at myself. One more interesting story was a boy trying to ask for a girl’s phone number, and she was not interested in sharing it with him. A typical college scene and how my sis helped her to give a fake number etc. Funny thing is she keeps asking me, what the right approach to solve various issue is. And I feel amused at the triviality of it but still love to solve it for her. Only advantage is now I can solve them from the perspective of an adult not an adolescent’s perspective. For this reason I feel sis has got an advantage, she has someone who she can get genuine help from, where as my learning was all trial and error.

I am liking this new fascination and enjoying every bit of it. Thanks to sis I am re – living my college days. Wish I could have brought back those days again and had all old friends around. Have those silly ‘Coffee House’ sessions for hours and still have energy to walk back to the Hostel to save some money for next day’s ‘Coffee House’ session.

*** This post is dedicated to all my old friends!

View Srijata Bhatnagar's profile on LinkedIn

No comments: