Wednesday, April 02, 2008

What a great traffic and civic sense Bangalore crowd has!

Date: 4th April 2008

Here goes another nice example of worst traffic sense of Bangalore drivers. This happened today in the morning on my way to office. I come from Queens Road and usually hit Cubbon Road from Minsk Square. Therefore I need to take left which is ‘Free Left’. Usually other cars/autos/two wheelers, those who want to go towards Kasturba road, clog up the space which I have got used to now. However, there was a BUS in front of me today, and he was indicating he wants to turn left, so I had to wait for the traffic signal to turn green. Once the traffic signal turned green, this bus goes to the extreme left of the road, and then suddenly cuts right! Actually he wanted to go towards Kastuba Road, but was showing left indicator, so the vehicles which wanted to go left didn’t honk him!

Date: 2nd April 2008

This is first time I have experienced something like this in my whole life. I have stayed in cities like Kolkata (for 4 years) and Chennai (for 5 years), however never seen or experienced something like this ever.

The story goes like this: I was waiting in Doordarshan junction, (those who are not aware this junction, it’s a T junction, all the approaching roads are narrow) to turn to my left. Signal was RED, and my indicator was on. As I had to turn left, therefore I was standing very close to the footpath. There was about 15 inches gap between the footpath and my car. Suddenly I noticed a two wheeler trying to sneak through that 15 inches space! I was quite confident he can’t pass through that space, and was watching him keenly.
What I saw after this was a seer spectacle, I was in utter shock! So, this guy with a FAT aunty as pillion was trying to slip through that space … my car’s left rear view mirror was blocking him. But, he was in real hurry, I must say! To my surprise he promptly closed the mirror and zoomed through! Not even bothering to look back when I objected! As if this was not enough, he also jumped Signal… Now I am wondering with these kinds of riders on the road how TOI will ever be able to ‘Unlock’ Bangalore?

No comments: